In this video, you will learn how to write an essay about a country. Any country.
So this will work for a paper written for Sociology, Economics, a History class or for any other discipline you can imagine.
Now the biggest challenge when writing an essay is coming up with material.
And the easiest way to keep your ideas flowing is to break your topic into subtopics.
Let’s see how this works.
So our subject is a country. Any country.
So how would we go about breaking it into aspects or into parts?
So what are some of the parts that a country may have?
Now the easiest way to break up a topic is to use the Power of Three!
And which three aspects are relevant to any country? Which three things does any country have?
- It has a political aspect. Politics is all about the government. It answers the question “What are the political forces and their relationships?”
- This part of the paper will answer the question “How do people live in this country? “So while the political aspect is about the government, the social aspect is about the people.
- So the economic is about the money, the finances. It answers the questions “What are the major economic forces in this country?” How do the shape the country? Is the country going through an economic hardship?
So these are three wonderful ways to discuss a country.
And it’s also a wonderful way to structure an essay about a country.
Next, what else can we do?
Now we can talk about a country in terms of the past, present and future. Let’s see how it will work.
- The past. This section will answer the question “How was this country in the past?” Pretty simply.
- The present. It will the answer the question “How is the country doing today?”
- The future. It will answer the question “What can be predicted about this country?”
Again, a wonderful way to discuss any country.
Now, you can combine these different aspects to form a longer essay.
In fact, you can write as longer essay as you want.
So we’re combining different aspects and we’re writing about a country (whatever the country is).
So let’s say we’re writing a country in terms of the past, the present and the future. Now, what can you do in each section?
You were already using the Power of Three to create the main structure. Now we can use the Power of Three to break up each of the section into three subsections.
- And we can talk about the political, social and economical aspects in section 1 about the past. In other words, how was this country in the past politically, socially and economically?
- In the next section, how is this country in the present politically, socially and economically?
- And finally, what can be predicted about this country politically, socially and economically?
Hope this makes sense.
Now, you can actually do it differently. Let’s say for example you wanted to structure this essay differently. And you have three sections that are devoted to politics, society and economics.
You can still use the Power of Three and you can use it in reverse.
- In section 1, you would talk about the past, the present and the future of this country in terms of politics.
- In the next section, you would talk about the society in the past, in the present and in the future.
- And the same thing you would do in the third section about economics, you would talk about the past, the present and the future.
Now there are more aspects of any country. Things like:
- Religions, ethnic diversity
You can use any of these aspects. Just don’t forget to use the Power of Three to make your life easier 🙂